My beautiful boys

My beautiful boys

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Holy moley, Jules can write!

Jules came home yesterday with 16 pictures he had painted in the two hours he'd been at Kindy - prolific!


 All in a day's work.


But the most amazing thing was that his name was written on them!  Now, I didn't know he could write his name.  He has been uninterested in trying when I've asked him, and given his personality, which when pushed becomes vehemently opposed to doing something, I just left it.  We've done lots of reading, of course, he does drawings every day, and has been tracing letters at times.  He also has a little Vtech electronic game that works on letter recognition and can recognize his name on the board at Kindy, but I had no clue that he knew how to write all of the letters of his name!


When he turned up with the writing yesterday, I asked if he's been practicing secretly, and he said that yes he has.  I'm inclined to believe that somehow (whether mentally or on paper) he has been as it would astound me that one day he can't write any letters and the next day he can!  What it did reinforce to me was my insight into his perfectionist tendencies.  He doesn't want to do anything until he can do it well.

Jules often says he's not very good at something (new) that he's trying to do.  My response is to ask him how many times he's done it, and invariably it is not very many!  I then say that it would be very strange if he were good at the thing he is trying, since he's only done it once or twice - most people can't do things until they have practiced, a lot! Through having this conversation over the past few months, he has started to initiate his own "practicing", which is really cool, and here's the best example!  I am so proud of him.

Amazingly, also he knows that when he writes "JUUUU" it says "JUUUU" with a long "ooh" sound.  Beginning reading.  So cool.  I was so excited I couldn't get back to sleep when I woke up in the middle of the night.


Jules with his decorated bike - creativity is high at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment