Jules is recovering from a cold today, and so I am enjoying a rare day where I have had a nap with him and he is still sleeping (3 hours later) so I also get some 'me' time...Checking the updates on Christchurch online, Facebook and blogging.
Christchurch experienced a second, large earthquake yesterday. It had already been greatly damaged last September when a 7.1 earthquake hit. I heard on the radio yesterday that they had just got through the planning stages of what and how to rebuild, and were feeling really positive about actions, when bam! Another quake, 6.3 but more violent, struck yesterday.
It is such a blow for a small nation, as it really affects us all. Everyone knows someone who lives in Christchurch and so the immediate effect is worrying about loved ones. Steve's uncle, aunt and cousins live there, and we have fortunately had the news that they are safe. The longer term effects of the earthquake will go on for years to come - the cost of rebuilding, the decision whether/what to rebuild as another quake might come along, the businesses unable to operate for who knows how long, the people that will chose to move away from Christchurch and the people who were considering Christchurch as a home who will not move there.
The response of the whole country has been immediate. Donations, emergency personnel rushing to the area, individuals offering their homes, everyone wanting to do something to help. It's reassuring to see how much people want to help each other when things are tough.
I titled this post grateful, as last night Steve and I were talking about how much we have to be grateful for; among other things - a warm bed at night, food to eat, good jobs, and of course our family.
Nissa,
ReplyDeleteWe've just read your "Grateful" entry, and among other things, we're grateful that you, Steve and Jules are safe. I've heard from many people today, who knew you're in New Zealand but didn't know where, wondering if you're okay. Pascale even phoned from Martinique! Our hearts go out to all the people in Christchurch as well as their friends and relatives. Too much sadness!
Love, Mom