My beautiful boys

My beautiful boys

Sunday, September 26, 2010

First Week of Work and First Birthday

Flowers from Steve on my first day back at work :)

Birthday boy opening presents!

Cake - which Jules enjoyed.

Poppa Ross and Nan were with us for Jules' birthday

Steve likes playing with Jules blocks (one of his presents from us).



My first week of work went well! It was nice to be back and see everybody, and I had forgotten how luxurious it is to work at a corporate where there are people to do things for you from emptying the dishwasher to making sure there are enough pens in the office supplies cabinet. It's such a change from being home.

It was interesting how easily I've just slipped back into work, and in a way it feels like I never left. I've got some interesting projects already on the go, which is great. Also, my work hours being 18 hours/week so far feels really manageable.

I work Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. It's great to have a break in the middle of the week, and then just have one more day before a long weekend. I feel like I really get a lot of time with Jules, and I get to see him enough. When I go to pick him up, I rush there and feel that excited sense of anticipation that I used to feel when I was a teenager and couldn't wait to see my latest crush.

A big part of work going well is that Jules has really settled in to daycare, and on my first day of work, he had already been doing visits for 5 weeks, so there were no dramas at all when I dropped him off. I felt OK about leaving him since he seemed happy to be there. Now when we get there and he realizes where we are, he starts smiling and clapping his hands. It makes me feel that I am doing the right thing being back at work.

The only bad thing is that Jules got a bad cold and I had to take him to the doctor on Saturday. It turned out he had a fever, ear infection and conjunctivitis. He's on antibiotics and has drops for his eyes, and seems to be getting better quickly. I hope, though, that he doesn't get this sick repeatedly! With daycare, however, it seems likely.

If he continues to get ill a lot, I'm sure I will start to question again whether I am doing the best thing for him, and also for our family as both Steve and I usually get sick when Jules does. We'll see how it goes - fortunately summer is coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment