Daddy and Jules looking at the goldfish at the Wintergardens.
Jules and Mummy doing some bench sitting - one of Jules' favourite activities.
The Auckland Domain in winter.
Auckland in fog.
Viewed from the Harbour Bridge,
which we drive over every day to get into the city.
Yes, it's happening - a new baby is on its way to our house sometime early next year! I am now 14 weeks pregnant, and due 4 February, which is very exciting. I've had the first scan and all is looking good, so as my midwife says, it's a matter of growing the baby at the moment! We're going to find out at 20 weeks whether we're having a girl or a boy, and I can't wait for that. Only six more weeks to go!
Whilst I am really looking forward to having another child, I've had a number of worries start cropping up:
- Will I be able to ensure Jules feels loved and special when I am exhausted from the birth and looking after a brand new baby?
- Can I remain in good humour throughout this pregnancy as this time around it's just not as exciting? I am finding it physically and mentally more difficult this time, as I've been sick A LOT (not morning sickness, just viruses Jules brings home from daycare), and very, very tired. Jules and Steve both bear the brunt of my fatigue and grumpiness.
- Will having a new baby impact negatively on my relationship with Jules? Will he still feel close to Mummy?
I know Steve and I will cope, as we did with Jules and so that is fortunately not one of my worries, but I'm worried about Jules and also about keeping myself happy and healthy. It's harder this time as I am working, looking after Jules, looking after the house, sick all the time and pregnant. Not easy. And I feel so bad when I have a grumpy day and I'm home with Jules. The fact that he's been sick a lot too means that he's been grumpier than normal as well.
So, I am really trying to think of ways to take care of myself. I just started pregnancy yoga today, which was great. Steve is helping out a lot on the weekends with care of Jules, so that I can have rests and breaks. Work should be getting easier in the next few weeks, as we have some new staff members on board and so I shouldn't feel so totally overwhelmed soon. Also, I think I need to take a different attitude to work, which is that even though what I do is important, my number one priority is keeping myself and baby and family happy and healthy. Every day, I think I need to ask myself if what I am doing is working towards that priority or not. And if it's not, I need to change things.
I am really looking forward to the spring, and most of all to the summer, so that hopefully the illness ceases as I can cope with things reasonably well, until we get sick. Winter here is a beautiful time of year, though, and I've posted some pictures of recent activities. I was just thinking today how great it is that it's winter and neither Jules, Steve nor I own a pair of gloves!! Amazing for this Minnesota girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment