I'm in Melbourne, Australia now - the purpose of my visit was a work seminar, and I am staying a couple of extra days to visit a friend as well.
I arrived on Wednesday evening and went straight from the airport to my hotel. I then took a walk around town (I'm staying right downtown) and bought some snacks. Thursday was the seminar, and after that I did some shopping and had dinner with a work colleague. Now it's Friday morning, and still being on New Zealand time, I've woken up at 5.30 so will go to a yoga class at 6.30.
It is so refreshing to have some time alone! So nice to be removed from all responsibility except that of caring for myself - no house to worry about tidying, no meal planning and grocery shopping, and no one to be responsible for. If I feel like doing something, I can do it. Don't get me wrong, I miss Jules, but I think I had been missing myself as well.
In the past I spent quite a lot of time on my own, especially when travelling to new places, and I always enjoyed the sense of adventure and freedom that brought. I haven't been anywhere on my own since I've arrived in New Zealand eight years ago, and without knowing I was missing it, I did miss travelling on my own and the relaxed sense of freedom it brings me.
On another note, the seminar was fantastic and I have renewed enthusiasm for work, which is great. I don't really want to find another job as I am passionate about what I do, but I need to find a better way to make it work for me and for our family. Meeting a lot of people in my field yesterday made me realise that I am not alone in the day-to-day challenges I face working in this field (although there are other challenges that come from being part-time which they don't share). It is so helpful to know that we are all doing work we love, in a challenging area and it's tough for everybody - but when you get it right, personal satisfaction is high.
Now that the seminar is over, I'm meeting up with a friend that I knew when teaching English in Korea, and who I haven't seen in 9 years. She is now married with a little boy too! I am so looking forward to reconnecting with someone I met so many years ago in such a different environment.
All in all, a fabulous trip so far. I've even had time to buy a pair of shoes!
No comments:
Post a Comment